Hi-lo?or High-low? What comes to your mind when you come across this?
Let me give you an idea. Have you spotted Kim Kardashian? You’ll note that her look is full of designer pieces from head to toe. Or rather, Nicki Minaj, or Rihanna too. They are ever killing it in stinking expensive pieces that you’d gladly steal anytime, right? But how many of us are able to do this all week and all year around? It is pretty obvious that only a few people wear high fashion from Monday to Monday.
So, this is so normal and yeah, since we will only manage to have a few high fashion pieces in our closets while bulks of low fashion pieces, we should basically master the trick of pairing this. So in general, Hi-Lo Style is where you pair the most expensive pieces in your wardrobe with the most affordable, or rather, cheap items for a nice fit and cost effective style. This is especially good if you are working on a tight budget.
Since it is fun to create your personal style and define it than having a uniform high fashion style, it’s great to know how to pair and wear high-low like the fashionista you are!
- Go for high fashion bottoms and low fashion tops.
Imagine having 5 different colored denim jeans from a designer store around the corner that you can switch up with various tops and wear all-month around! Or 2 pairs of great palazzo pants? What about 6 perfect high fashion shirts that you’ll obviously pair with a million tops all year round? Bottoms will tend to come in basic designs that won’t be as much . For example: trousers will come in not so much designs as compared to tops so having basic types of pants like jeans, palazzo pants, flared pants, leggings, jeggings and maybe stockings will do your wardrobe the favor.
Usually, I go for low end tops since tops will ever come in very many designs. For example: ruffles hem, ruffles sleeves, long-sleeved, off-shoulders, one shoulder, strapless, cropped, lace, turtle-necks, polo-necks, caped , waist-tie tops and so much more. This is why low fashion tops are better so that you can have very many designs at a cheaper cost and no one can also blame you for too much wearing of one outfit…that’s what we ladies fear!Ha-ha!
Take a look at my hi-lo style where I pair a high fashion bottom and a low end top. Or rather, a hot pink skater skirt from La’belle fashions worth 1500 shillings paired with a turtle-neck top that I thrifted for 30shillings.
- Opt for high statement outerwear.
They say that for a flawless combination of style and comfort, a covetable outerwear will always work to do wonders to your overall style. Hence, investing in great outerwear is essential for example purchasing a killer trench coat , or fur coat, or kimono, or cardigan or a sweater that is bold enough to liven up any outfit.
- Always pick out high-end shoes and accessories.
If you up your game when it comes to choosing high fashion hats, hand bags, accessories and shoes, trust me you’ll be the hottest fashionista around. Accessories are the greatest trick to livening up any outfit.
Why High End?
- They prove to last longer. A good quality bag will serve you all year round than when it’s a low fashion bag whose zips will spoil so soon, or its material wears out in the next 2 months.
- They always tend to make a statement. I mean, who can even ignore appreciating a very gorgeous coat? Or pants?
- Quality shoes will have a great sole that is comfortable. Even Hart the Band sang, ‘ask my shoe’ thus great shoes will always speak volumes about your overall personality and brighten up any outfit.
- Great accessories are free from rust thus will last longer apart from them staying bold and vibrant enough. For example: earrings should especially be of great quality since rusted earrings are not good for your ears.
Well lovelies, you now have three ways of going hi-lo! Today, I opted for the first high-low look and I’m certain many consider the tip too, right?
Speak to me in the comment section below: What high-low style do you love most?